The Executive Committee of the MAC has adopted the Joint Advice of the Aquaculture Advisory Council and the Market Advisory Council on Presence of Tetrodotoxin in shellfish.
The paper includes a detailed background on the matter and the following standpoits:
1. Reaffirm that the health of consumers of their products remains a major priority;
2. Underline the threat to intra-Community trade and the image of shellfish in general in connection with an unfounded ‘epidemic’;
3. Underline the need for more evidence-based information on TTX toxicity (toxicokinetics, oral toxicity, chronic effects, combination with STX) to reduce the uncertainty factors in a responsible way;
4. Stress the need for more occurrence data on TTX from different EU waters to provide a more reliable exposure assessment, as well as the need for studies on the source and accumulation of TTX;
5. Welcome the ongoing definition of a validated European reference method between the Member States with regard to the introduction of this toxin in the monitoring system; and
6. Request the European Commission to conduct a risk assessment when sufficient evidence-based data on TTX toxicity, source and accumulation are available.